~Quote of the Day~


"NOM teh hand that fees you."

~icanhascheezburger.com

Thursday, November 29, 2007

I'm Going "Over There"....No, the OTHER "Over There."

The Story: Apparently my name is on the roster to be deployed to Kosovo for the KFOR-10 mission. I don't know much yet as far as details, but they will be forthcoming. It looks like we'll be leaving in the late Winter, maybe early Spring.

My 2 Cents: Well, I know this isn't exactly national news or anything, but it's pretty big in my world. Much time has been spent thinking over the last few days. I can't seem to stop thinking. It makes it hard to sleep...which is irritating because I really like sleep.

There is a lot that goes in to preparing for a deployment, both on the personal and unit level. In the world of SGT P there is much concern over how the Creatures of Mass Destruction (CMD), ages 5 and 6 (males, the both of them) will fare during my absence. And how my Highly Significant Other (HSO) and Gamma will do in handling them while I am away. I know that they are quite capable, but The Curse (also known as Murphy's Law) always causes problems that are unexpected. I must prepare for The Curse. Even though I have "Good Kids," their lack of major behavior issues does not stop The Curse. So, prepare I must.

Here are my main concerns at this point of waaaaaaay too much thinking:
1. The CMD

2. Followed closely by the emotional and physical well-being of the HSO,

3. Then Gamma,

4. Then Magickitty (who I love like a third child and will miss terribly),

5. And, finally, me and the actual leaving-CONUS-process. This includes the packing, paperwork, and other whatnot involved.

Which leads me to question any other previously deployed Soldiers: What can you think of that you HAD to have over there? What no Soldier should ever leave home without? Please comment. And, for my very few readers, if you know any Soldiers who might have a good answer for this, please forward them a link and ask them to comment.

The packing list just seems to be getting longer and longer!

I usually feel pretty badassed....but not so much today. So I look forward to your comments.

Hey....it looks like Less Than Half a Nickel will end up being a milblog after all.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes. That sounds really tough. My prayers will be with you.

Anonymous said...

OK. Now I get why your blog opens with a quote from Nancy Regan! My sincerest apologies and I have fixed the post. Like I said, blogging identities can be really confusing. I like the quote, by the way. Classic.

Anonymous said...

God willing, and the creek don't rise, you and everything else will come out OK if you maintain a good 'heads-up attitude. Your family will be there waiting when you come back, a little older, maybe. But they will be there for you.I spent three tours in Viet-Nam Marine Helicpoters, made it back in one piece and our family was tighter then ever.

CP ~The Day Fobbit said...

Apparently Chuck doesn't have a blog...but that's okay. I hope you come back to visit occasionally.

Thank you for your kind post. And thank you for your service to our country. Also, for all of those times that you didn't hear it when you should have: Welcome home.

P