~Quote of the Day~


"NOM teh hand that fees you."

~icanhascheezburger.com

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Bibliophile in Me SOOOO Wants One of These!!!

The Story: Amazon came out with a new ebook reader. The Kindle. It's wireless.

My 2 Cents: I want one. I really don't want to spend too long lauding the coolness of this device...read up on the link. I promise you won't be disappointed. I'll give a few highlights: It's a way to carry around 200 (or more) of your favorite books, with the ability to order one at ANY time on the included wireless network (it uses the Sprint network, not Wi-Fi...so no hot-spots necessary, and you don't have to have a plan). This thing is the size of a trade paperback. You get to keep the books you buy....and if you already have ebooks in another format, you can use the included software to put them onto your Kindle. There are tons of other features I'd love to talk about...but I don't want to bore you too much. I just want one...okay? This thing is unbelievably nifty. Gimme.

I'm torn. I really do want one of these things...I'm deploying and can put several hundred books on this thing and take it to Kosovo with me...and not have to buy any books while I'm there. It's an amazingly perfect solution to having to ship a huge box of books home at the end of my deployment.

BUT...

{There's always a BUT, isn't there?}

It the first generation of this device...and things always go wrong with the first of anything...so I have to be patient {aarrgghh!!} and wait until they fix the bugs. And wait for the price to drop from its acid-reflux inducing $399.

$399!!! Eeeek!

So, I wait. I scour the Amazon site for any mention of the company putting out the next generation of the device...or dropping the price. My patience is wearing thin. To buy....? Or not to buy? How much would it SUCK not to have this thing in Kosovo...especially if they come out with a newer model while I'm over there?! Argh!

If they do put out the debugged version...I'll buy it anyhow. Knowing that, I feel a little like an addict. I need my fix! I can stop any time....I know it!!!

{Fast forward, 5 years}

"Uhm, hi. My name is Sergeant P and I'm a Kindle addict. I've been off the books for..." Looks at my watch. "13 minutes."


1 comment:

Mack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.